Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Susan Sontog

Ok, so I just read the Susan Sontog article and I am really confused. I didn't even realize that Camp is a type of art movement, I guess, until half way through the article. I still don't understand what it means though. It is something that isn't successful but doesn't fail. It is a way of looking at something, with a certain aestheticism, and a certain taste.

I also didn't understand the part about the sensibility. When I think of sensibility, I think of being sensible, common sense, kind of stuff. I didn't understand what she was writing about on the first page, when she talks of sensibility as a noun, rather than an adjective, which is how I usually understand it as.

The way that I understand it.... Camp is a way of looking at art in the sense that you are looking at it, not for its success, but more for what it actually is. Not how aesthetically correct and pleasing it is, but does it make a statement, and what does it say years down the road. What kind of messages does it send out?

I'm still not sure if I understand Camp, but I did enjoy the reading of Andy Warhol. I learned a lot about how he views people and how he feels and wants to feel. It seemed like he was just so lonely and wanted to be able to help someone, but then once he got the chance, that isn't what he needed to fulfill himself. I like when he wrote about how since he has seen emotions and feelings from one aspect, his entire viewing of them will never be the same. I think that is so true, because once you have felt something so deeply emotional, or you can open your eyes to something that you didn't have any idea about, your life and your perspective will be changed from that moment on. Those moments have a defining part in your life, and I think that those moments have a large part of making you who you are.

No comments: